- A Steam account and an HTC Vive headset will get you free access to Google Earth in virtual reality. Try out the experience on your laptop with locations like the Hoover Dam and Hong Kong Stadium at Google Earth VR.
- As someone who has stayed up far too late writing marketing copy for an app release, I’ll vouch for the value of this comprehensive app launch checklist.
- Pew’s latest research into social media adoption confirms that Facebook remains far from the pack: Nearly eight-in-ten online Americans (79%) now use Facebook, more than double the share that uses Twitter (24%), Instagram (32%), or LinkedIn (29%). Messaging apps are on the rise, and skew younger.
- Many marketing organizations still struggle with long planning, creative, and delivery phases. McKinsey outlines a step-by-step guide to Agile marketing. Even if you can’t adopt the full organization approach recommended here, there are principles and practices you can employ.
- I’m bullish on automation in personal finance. Something as simple as opt-out monthly deduction is proven to change the rate of retirement savings, so why shouldn’t more sophisticated AI-driven automation be next? Check out Trim, a new bot that claims it can cut costs on your Comcast bill while you play Tetris.
Weekend fun: You could lose the weekend playing in Google’s AI Experiments sandbox. Try to take a picture of something to hear how to say it in a different language or draw something a neural network can recognize — you can also submit your own!
Friday 5 will take a break for Thanksgiving in the U.S. See you all in December!
Every Friday, find five, highly subjective pointers to compelling technologies, emerging trends, and interesting ideas that affect how we live and work digitally. Sign up for a weekly email.
Last modified: November 18, 2016