- Mary Meeker’s annual internet trends report reveals that internet growth is finally losing its mojo, but certain behaviors, like photo sharing and voice, continue to rise. Read the slide deck (or just the analysis.) Pleased to see Candace Payne, aka Chewbacca mask lady, made slide 85!
- The New York Times explains dark patterns, websites that turn persuasive user experience design into a dark art. Go directly to darkpatterns.org to learn about common deceptive tactics like Friend Spam, Sneak into Basket, or Roach Motel.
- I sat next to someone at a dinner this week who said his company used to build mobile apps, but now his whole firm was focused on chat. HBR summarizes what marketers need to know about chat apps.
- Spam and phishing email is increasing, and email software controls are tightening. More bad email gets caught, but we’re also spending more time rescuing legitimate emails from “Quarantine.” Responsible senders, read 27 deliverability terms email marketers should know.
- The inability to delete the pre-installed iOS apps has driven users crazy for a while. But now you can remove yours, at least in part.
Every Friday, find five, highly subjective pointers to compelling technologies, emerging trends, and interesting ideas that affect how we live and work digitally. Try out the Friday 5 archive, or sign up for a weekly email.
Last modified: June 30, 2016